Fall Farms & Artisans Tour
Want to experience fall in a different way?
Get off the beaten path and revel in the crisp weather and emerging colors.
Visit working farms and savor the landscape that has inspired artists for decades. At night, rest in comfort at your choice of one of Asheville’s top bed and breakfast destinations.
The 16 inns of the Asheville Bed & Breakfast Association (ABBA) are partnering with three Western NC farms, a vineyard and five artisans to give guests a glimpse of a road less traveled – and the discoveries and finds the journey brings. This independent driving tour takes visitors through the Sandy Mush community in Leicester, NC.
Farmer and promoter Terri Wells describes Sandy Mush as a “special place where families like mine have farmed for more than 200 years.” She says the area also attracts artists drawn to it because of its remoteness, beauty and sense of place.
ABBA’s Fall Farms and Artisans Tour Package is back!
It’s available from September 16 to November 13, 2016 and begins with:
- Two nights lodging at an Asheville Bed & Breakfast Association Inn
Guests select the inn that’s right for them. All are unique with amenities such as being pet-friendly; catering to gluten-free and other special diets; Victorian or Civil War-era homes or friendly farmhouses and cottages; and in-room spa services. Many are within walking distance of downtown.
All inns provide a gourmet breakfast each morning. Some inns also host young children. Prices range from $147-$431/night plus tax.
A two-night minimum is required. Guests should contact their selected inn for package pricing and availability as inns offer different rates and amenities.
Your innkeepers will send you off with a picnic lunch to eat at Addison Farm Vineyard. Enjoy a tasting and complimentary glass, along with panoramic mountain views. Receive 10% off wine purchases. In September, guests can watch the grape harvest.
- A touring map/guide of Leicester, NC’s Sandy Mush Community of Artisans and Farms. This Map/Guide will provide specific hours and contact info for each farm and artist. For the best experience, call ahead to your destinations to schedule appointments; your innkeeper will help you create your unique tour.
- Shop for honey, beeswax candles and pick-your-own blackberries; explore the farm store at Sandy Hollar Farms and receive a 10% discount on purchases.
- Visit a working farm with pigs, beef cattle, ducks, turkey and chickens (and fresh eggs, too!) when you visit Reeves Homeplace Farm. Visitors can buy meat and eggs here and receive a 10% discount. Meats sold here are frozen, so bring your cooler. And they’ve added flowers and veggies this year too!
- Explore the Long Branch Environmental Education Center, a farm designed for research, education and conservation. In addition to seeing solar farm buildings and a tobacco barn, pick up conservation tips and buy apples and cider.
Tour, shop, and experience a warm welcome at these fine artisan destinations:
- Jones Pottery, the studio of nationally recognized potter Matt Jones.
- The studio for quilter Laurie W. Brown.
- Painter Christine Hield at Sky Dance Art.
- Fiber artist June Hawkins at Sandy Hollar Farms. (She also owns Sandy Hollar Farms!)
- Friendswood Brooms, the workshop of broom makers, Marlow and Diana Gates (second generations), following in the footsteps of founder Ralph Gates.
Asheville is known for the Biltmore and the city’s energetic local food scene and craft brew culture. This ABBA package takes the Asheville experience one step further.
Asheville is one of the top fall East Coast destinations in the country. Please make reservations as quickly as you can. Traveling on the weekdays offers a greater selection of rooms as the fall travel season comes closer.