German Sour Cream Peach Kuchen
2 lbs ripe peaches, peeled and sliced (about 6) OR 2 (12 1/2 ounce) packages frozen sliced peaches
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk
1 ½ tablespoons grated lemon rind
¼ cup butter or 1/4 cup regular margarine, melted
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 egg yolks
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
sweetened whipped cream
1. Pour enough boiling water over peaches in large bowl to cover.
2. Let stand 1 minute to loosen skins; then drain, and plunge into cold water for a few seconds to prevent softening of fruit.
3. With paring knife, slice peaches, place into a bowl; toss to coat with lemon juice; set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 400°F.
5. Place into a bowl flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
6. In large mixing bowl, using wisk, beat eggs with milk and lemon rind.
7. Add flour mixture and melted butter, mixing with fork until smooth—1 minute. Do not over-mix.
8. Butter a 9-inch Springform pan
9. Turn batter into pan; spread evenly over bottom.
10. (At this point, kuchen may be refrigerated 12 hour before baking or used immediately.)
11. DRAIN peach slices; arrange on batter, around edge of pan; fill in center with 5 peach slices.
12. Combine sugar and cinnamon; mix well. Sprinkle peaches evenly with sugar-cinnamon mixture.
13. Bake 25 minutes.
14. Remove kuchen from oven.
15. With a wisk, beat egg yolks with sour cream.
16. Pour over peaches.
17. Mix sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle over mixture.
18. Bake 25-30 minutes longer until golden.
19. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack.
20. To serve, remove side of springform pan.
21. Serve kuchen warm, cut into wedges, with sweetened whipped cream.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.