This recipe from Crooked Oak Mountain Inn is ideal for special occasions or for a summer treat baked from wild picked blueberries. A buckle is a dense old-fashioned cake, named for the way the streusel-style topping “buckles” as the cake batter sinks during baking.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, drained
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375° and grease square or round cake pan.
- For cake: Cream butter and sugar together. Add egg and beat until fluffy.
- Stir dry ingredients together and add to cream mixture alternately with milk.
- Fold in blueberries and put in prepared pan.
- For topping: Mix topping ingredients together and spread on top of batter.
- Bake at 375° for 45 to 50 minutes.